There are many things that people are worried about during the forest fire season. Of course, they are worried about their safety, their homes, and their property. But even after forest fires passed by and an area was declared clear and safe, there were other threats that people need to worry about. This is a threat that can spread quickly, and although it is not a direct threat can be the same killing it with forest fires, and that is the asbestos- website .
Asbestos is a silent threat but deadly that is not realized by most people. This substance can cause several medical problems including lung cancer and mesothelioma, membrane cancer that surrounds the lungs, the heart, and other internal organs. And unknown most of the asbestos threats increased after the fire.
Relationship between Bushfires and Asbestos
Asbestos is one of the most commonly used substances and found in construction materials for most of the 20th century. It is fireproof and very durable and is often used to produce building materials that are resistant to chemicals, heat, and electricity. Asbestos can be found in almost every part of the house or building: there is the isolation of asbestos, lagging pipes, asbestos in floor materials, in paint, plaster and panels, roof products and asbestos ceiling, and more.
As long as the asbestos fibers found in these ingredients remain uninterrupted, they do not cause threats to our health. But once the construction material is disturbed in any way and asbestos fiber is released into the air, the threat of asbestos becomes close.
Protect against the risk of asbestos
Bushfires caused the loss of lives and a large amount of damage to ensure, but the smoke and gas toxic and substances originating from home fires can kill more people than actual fires. One of the toxic substances is asbestos.
So what should you do in the threat of asbestos exposure after forest fires?
If your home or property is burning, don’t look for debris until you are 100% sure it’s free from asbestos. Asbestos fibers are microscopic, with tens of thousands that are grouped -the same appears only as specifications -and only require a few fibers to attach to your lungs permanently and cause asbestos-related diseases. If you are looking to -Fall in the debris from the fire, or asbestos fiber there will be the air that can be easily inhaled.
- If asbestos has been found, ask for the removal of professional asbestos removal chemicals from the area. Don’t try to do this yourself because you can only take the risk of exposure.
- If you need to go out of the room, be sure to wear a respirator facepiece with the appointment of filter ranking 100. Don’t go outside only with the usual disposable face mask.
- Protect you from microscopic asbestos particles in the air.
- If you are part of the cleaning crew, be sure to wear respirators and protective clothes mentioned above, preferred for disposables. Wear a helmet to prevent fiber from being attached to the hair, safety glasses or glasses, gloves, and protective boots.
- If the goods must be moved, everything is wet first so that the fiber tends to become air. Minimize as much as possible movement and removal of materials that can trigger the release of dust and asbestos fiber into the air.